Open as PDF
Refer All Communications to the Nearest
Ingersoll--Rand Office or Distributor.
Ingersoll--Rand Company 2001
MODELS 231 AND 231--2 HEAVY--DUTY
AUTOMOTIVE IMPACT WRENCHES
Model 231 and 231--2 Impact Wrenches are designed for use in general automotive repair,
body shops, front end service and light truck and farm equipment applications.
Ingersoll--Rand is not responsible for customer modification of tools for applications on
which Ingersoll--Rand was not consulted.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION ENCLOSED.
READ THIS MANUAL BEFORE OPERATING TOOL.
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE EMPLOYER TO PLACE THE INFORMATION
IN THIS MANUAL INTO THE HANDS OF THE OPERATOR.
FAILURE TO OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING WARNINGS COULD RESULT IN INJURY.
PLACING TOOL IN SERVICE
• Always operate, inspect and maintain this tool in
accor dance with all regulations (local, state,
federal and country), that may apply to hand
held/hand operated pneumatic tools.
• For safety, top performance , and maximum
durability of parts, operate this tool at 90 psig
(6.2 bar/620 kPa) maximum air pressure at the
inlet with 3/8” (10 mm) inside diameter air supply
• Always turn off the air supply and disconnect the
air supply hose before installing, removing or
adjusting any accessory on this tool, or before
performing any maintenance on this tool.
• Do not use damaged, frayed or deteriorated air
hoses and fittings.
• Be sure all hoses and fittings are the correct size
and are tightly secured. See Dwg. TPD905--1 for a
typical piping arrangement.
• Always use clean, dry air at 90 psig maximum air
pressure. Dust, corrosive fumes and/or excessive
moisture can ruin the motor of an air tool.
• Do not lubricate tools with flammable or volatile
liquids such as kerosene, diesel or jet fuel.
• Do not remove any labels. Replace any damaged
USING THE TOOL
• Always wear eye protection when operating or
performing maintenance on this tool.
• Always wear hearing protection when operating
• Keep hands, loose clothing, long hair and jewelry
away from working end of tool.
• Note the position of the reversing lever before
operating the tool so as to be aware of the direction
of rotation when operating the throttle.
• Anticipate and be alert for sudden changes in
motion during start up and operation of any power
• Keep body stance balanced and firm. Do not
overreach when operating this tool. High reaction
torques can occur at or below the recommended
• Tool shaft may continue to rotate briefly after
throttle is released.
• Air powered tools can vibrate in use. Vibration,
repetitive motions or uncomfortable positions may
be harmful to your hands and arms. Stop using
any tool if discomfort, tingling feeling or pain
occurs. Seek medical advice before resuming use.
• Use accessories recommended by Ingersoll-- Rand.
• Use only impact sockets and accessories. Do not
use hand (chrome) sockets or accessories.
• Impact wrenches are not torque wrenches.
Connections requiring specific torque must be
checked with a torque meter after fitting with an
• This tool is not designed for working in explosive
• This tool i s not insulated against electri c shock.
• Prevent exposure and breathing of harmful dust
and particles created by power tool use:
Some dust created by power sanding, sawing,
grinding, drilling and other construction
activities contains chemicals known to cause
cancer, birth defects or other reproductive
harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:
-- lead from lead based paints,
-- crystalline silica from bricks and cement
and other masonry products, and
-- arsenic and chromium from chemically
Your risk from these exposures varies,
depending on how often you do this type of
work. To reduce your exposure to these
chemicals: work in a well ventilated area, and
work with approved safety equipment, such as
those dust masks that are specially designed to
filter out microscopic particles.
The use of other than genuine Ingersoll--Rand replacement parts may result in safety hazards, decreased tool
performance , and increased maintenance, and may invalidate all warranties.
Repairs should be made only by authorized trained personnel. Consult your nearest Ingersoll--Rand Authorized