Open as PDF
Reference Manual for the Model FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall
8-12 Advanced Configuration
5. Type the Destination IP Address of the final destination.
6. Type the IP Subnet Mask for this destination.
If the destination is a single host, type 255.255.255.255.
7. Type the Gateway IP Address, which must be a router on the same LAN segment as the
8. Type a number between 1 and 15 as the Metric value.
This represents the number of routers between your network and the destination. Usually, a
setting of 2 or 3 works, but if this is a direct connection, set it to 1.
9. Click Apply to have the static route entered into the table.
Static Route Example
As an example of when a static route is needed, consider the following case:
• Your primary Internet access is through a cable modem to an ISP.
• You have an ISDN router on your home network for connecting to the company where
you are employed. This router’s address on your LAN is 192.168.0.100.
• Your company’s network is 188.8.131.52.
When you first configured your firewall, two implicit static routes were created. A default route
was created with your ISP as the gateway, and a second static route was created to your local
network for all 192.168.0.x addresses. With this configuration, if you attempt to access a device on
the 184.108.40.206 network, your firewall will forward your request to the ISP. The ISP forwards your
request to the company where you are employed, and the request will likely be denied by the
In this case you must define a static route, telling your firewall that 220.127.116.11 should be accessed
through the ISDN router at 192.168.0.100. The static route would look like Figure 8-4.
In this example:
• The Destination IP Address and IP Subnet Mask fields specify that this static route applies to
all 134.177.x.x addresses.
• The Gateway IP Address fields specifies that all traffic for these addresses should be
forwarded to the ISDN router at 192.168.0.100.
• A Metric value of 1 will work since the ISDN router is on the LAN.
• Private is selected only as a precautionary security measure in case RIP is activated.