Open as PDF
Reference Manual for the Model FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall
6-8 Virtual Private Networking
Configure the Second Firewall
To configure the second FVS318, follow the same steps as the first FVS318, except for steps 6 and
7. For those steps, do the following:
6) Define the remote network by entering its Remote IP Address and IP Subnet Mask.
In this case, the Remote network address is the LAN network address of the first FVS318, which
is 192.168.0.0 and the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0.
7) Type the Remote Gateway IP Address, which is the public IP address of the first FVS318.
Check the VPN Connection
To check the VPN Connection, you can initiate a request from one network to the other. If one
FVS318 has a dynamically assigned WAN IP address, you must initiate the request from that
FVS318’s network. The simplest method is to ping from a PC on the LAN of the FVS318 to the
LAN IP address of the other FVS318. Using our example, start from a PC attached to the second
1. On the Windows taskbar, click the Start button, and then click Run.
2. Type ping -t 192.168.0.1 , and then click OK.
This will cause a continuous ping to be sent to the first FVS318. After several seconds (up to two
minutes), the ping response should change from “timed out” to “reply”.