Open as PDF
Reference Manual for the Model FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall
Virtual Private Networking 6-23
Accessing Remote Resources across a VPN
Only non-broadcast IP traffic will pass over the VPN tunnel. This prevents browsing with Network
Neighborhood (which relies on broadcast traffic), or using LAN protocols (such as IPX,
AppleTalk, NetBEUI, etc.) to establish connections to machines at the other end of the VPN
Some methods by which a VPN client may access remote resources across a VPN are:
• Use the IP address.
For example, if a remote office operates a Microsoft SQL server, users at your office will be
able to access the SQL server at the server's private IP address.
• Use Windows’ Find Computer tool to locate a remote workstation.
• Create an LMHOSTS file in a local computer's registry.
• Configure a WINS server to resolve a name to a remote IP address.
Refer to Windows documentation for information on using Find Computer, LMHOSTS files, and
Deleting a Security Association
To delete a security association:
1. Go to the VPN Configure window.
2. In the Security Association drop-down box, select the security association to be deleted.
3. Click on the Delete This SA button.
4. Click on the Update button.
Security Association Notes
• The firewall does not support Aggressive Mode in security negotiation.