Open as PDF
Customer Service: 800-686-8525 14 © 2002 Wagner Spray Tech - All rights reserved.
DISASSEMBLY OF THE FLUID SECTION
1. Remove the suction set.
2. Remove the front cover and the four
screws that secure it using a T20
Torx head driver.
3. Remove the yoke screw and washer
that secures the dowel pin. The dowel
pin connects the yoke to the piston.
4. Using the pliers, pull the dowel pin out.
5a. For models 1420 and 1620, rotate
the pump shaft so the piston is in the
top dead center position. This can be done by pushing on
the yoke. This is required to disassemble all the parts.
5b. For models 1720/1920/2120, inspect the yoke assembly
and piston. In order to remove all the necessary parts, the
piston must not be in the bottom dead center position. If
the piston is at the bottom of the stroke, install the front
cover and screws, turn the pump on briefly to index the
piston, unplug the unit, and repeat step 2.
6. Unscrew and remove the inlet valve assembly using an
7. Remove the piston assembly by pushing down on the
piston near the yoke.
8. Unscrew and remove the top nut using and adjustable wrench.
9. Remove the worn seals using a flat head screwdriver or
punch. Remove the top seal from the top and the bottom
seal from the bottom by pressing against the side of the
seal and popping it out. Be sure not to scratch the
housing where the seals are located.
10. Clean the area where the new seals are to be installed.
ASSEMBLY OF THE FLUID SECTION
1. Lubricate the new top seal with SprayTech Separating Oil
(P/N 0279920) or light household oil and by hand place the
seal (cup side of seal down) into the top port of the housing.
2. Place a small amount of anit-seize on the threads of the
top nut. Place the top nut into the top of the housing and
tighten with an adjustable wrench. This will drive the top
seal into the correct position.
3. Turn the pump upside down.
Lubricate the seal on the
piston/seal assembly similar
to the top seal. Place the
piston/seal assembly into the
bottom of the housing. Insert
the plastic insertion tool and
thread into position to
properly seat the piston/seal.
Thread fully until tight.
Remove the insertion tool.
4. Install the new O-ring on the
inlet valve assembly, lubricate
with Separating Oil (P/N 0279920), thread into the bottom
(inlet) of the housing, and tighten with an adjustable
wrench. This will drive the bottom seal into the correct
5. Align the piston with the yoke. A rubber mallet may be
used. Be careful not to damage the piston.
6. Apply any type of household grease to the piston and
yoke area to prolong life. Apply to the holes in the yoke
where the dowel is inserted.
7. Install the dowel pin to connect the yoke to the piston. The
piston may have to be moved up or down to do this.
8. Install the yoke screw and washer to secure the dowel pin.
9. Turn pump right side up and apply a few drops of SprayTech
Separating Oil or light household oil between the top nut and
piston. This will prolong the seal life.
10. Install front cover and four (4) screws.
11. Install the suction set.
Inlet valve assembly
CAUTION! DO NOT
attempt to remove the
seals from the piston.
FLUID SECTION SEAL REPLACEMENT INSTRUCTIONS
KIT 0512221 (MODELS 1420 AND 1620)
KIT 0512178 (MODELS 1720, 1920, 2120)
Always wear protective eye wear while servicing the pump. Be sure to follow the PRESSURE RELIEF PROCEDURE (page 6)
when shutting the unit down for any purpose, including servicing or adjusting. After performing the pressure relief
procedure, be sure to unplug the unit before servicing or adjusting. Area must be free of solvents and paint fumes.
SERVICE NOTE--MODEL 2120
The inlet check ball is a wear part. Erosion of the check
ball can result in a loss of performance similar to a worn
piston and seals. Inspect the inlet ball by removing the
inlet valve assembly. If worn, replace the assembly with
P/N 0512224. This part number is available at Wagner
authorized service centers or by calling 1-800-686-8525.