Open as PDF
Reference Manual for the Model FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall
Virtual Private Networking 6-25
3. Outgoing SPI - Enter the Security Parameter Index that this router will send to identify the
Security Association (SA). This will be the remote host’s Incoming SPI.
The SPI should be a string of hexadecimal [0-9,A-F] characters, and should not be used in any
other Security Association.
Tip: For simplicity (or troubleshooting), the Incoming and Outgoing SPI can be identical.
4. For Encryption Protocol, select one:
a. Null - Fastest, but no security.
b. DES - Faster but less secure than 3DES.
c. 3DES - (Triple DES) Most secure.
5. Enter a hexadecimal Encryption Key
— For DES, enter 16 hexadecimal [0-9,A-F] characters.
— For 3DES, enter 48 hexadecimal [0-9,A-F] characters.
The encryption key must match exactly the key used by the remote router or host.
6. Select the Authentication Protocol
— MD5 (default) - 128 bits, faster but less secure.
— SHA-1 - 160 bits, slower but more secure.
7. Enter 32 hexadecimal characters for the Authentication Key
The authentication key must match exactly the key used by the remote router or host.
• Click Apply to enter the SA into the table.