Open as PDF
Reference Manual for the Model FVS318 Cable/DSL ProSafe VPN Firewall
Advanced Configuration 8-5
Some considerations for this application are:
• If your account’s IP address is assigned dynamically by your ISP, the IP address may change
periodically as the DHCP lease expires.
• If the IP address of the local PC is assigned by DHCP, it may change when the PC is rebooted.
To avoid this, use the Reserved IP address feature in the LAN IP menu to keep the PC’s IP
• Local PCs must access the local server using the PCs’ local LAN address (192.168.0.33 in this
example). Attempts by local PCs to access the server using the external IP address
(172.16.1.23 in this example) will fail.
Tip: Multiple Computers for Half Life, KALI or Quake III
To set up an additional computer to play Half Life, KALI or Quake III:
1. Click the button of an unused port in the table.
2. Select the game again from the Services/Games list.
3. Change the beginning port number in the Start Port box.
For these games, use the supplied number in the default listing and add +1 for each additional
computer. For example, if you've alrealy configured one computer to play Hexen II (using port
26900), the second computer's port number would be 26901, and the third computer would be
4. Type the same port number in the End Port box that you typed in the Start Port box.
5. Type the IP address of the additional computer in the Server IP Address box.
6. Click Apply.
Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port
If you want the firewall to respond to a 'ping' from the Internet, click the ‘Respond to Ping on
Internet WAN Port’ check box. This should only be used as a diagnostic tool, since it allows your
firewall to be discovered. Don't check this box unless you have a specific reason to do so.